Thursday 10 February 2011

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

While most of my friends are out hitting the gym in their (January) attempts to shed off that 'holiday-weight' here I am once again at the office snacking on ginger cookies. I believe I am having a 'fat day.'

Nearly everyone has had to endure a fat day.  Your jeans feel tighter on you, you  feel icky from head to toe, and glimpsing your reflection is enough to send you screaming in horror—from yourself.

Before you get the image of someone morbidly obese, typing away in self-pity, let me make it clear that this is not the case. I am of average weight, below - average height with freakishly below-average shoe-size.

Lets give a round of applause for the media for making people everywhere feel anything less than they should. And an even greater clap to the idiots (like myself) who fall victim to it.

Kate Moss, the model who made the 'heroin-look' chic, 'waif' - 'sexy 'and founder of the above famous quote, might disagree with me.

Models get a lot of negative press about body image consciousness and the messages they give out to young girls. "Coffee, cigarettes, vodka and champagne diets' , rib removal surgery to make your waist thinner, and the oddest I've read: "soaking cotton balls in orange juice and then eating them"?!?

I suppose don't believe everything you hear but some of the underlying messages here are sadly, very much true. Being 'healthy' I am a fan of. Dying to be size 0 ? Not so much.

Of course, this is not without taking into consideration the (lucky) people with a fast metabolism which allows them to be the weight that they are but for the rest of us can I just remind you - No one ever lay on their deathbed and thought, "Damn, what a waste of a life. If only I'd been a size zero." Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment